Ad Blockers | The Solution Is Influencer Marketing
Almost every marketer invests heavily in online banner ads. According to the Interactive Advertising Bureau, these ads’ sales increased by 17% to hit $42.8 billion in 2013. Unfortunately for them, Ad Blockers gained strength after the release of iOS 9 in September 2015. Also, recently Google has confirmed they are even bringing in their very own ad blocker. This forced publishers and marketers to re-evaluate their monetizing strategies. And that’s why marketers should focus more on adding an influencer marketing strategy to their plans.
“I Think I Can Get Around Ad blockers, Thank You”
If you think there’s a way to avoid the ad blocking storm, you probably need to hear the following facts.
- Native Ads Are Also Affected by Ad blockers – While native ads aren’t ad blockers’ main target, they’re far from immune to them. Buzzfeed learnt this the hard way when ad-blockers stripped its homepage from its “promoted by” placements. Because publishers used traditional ad servers or native ad platforms, ad-blockers blocked them.
- Ad Blockers Target Many Types Of Sites – Gaming and tech websites have been affected the most by the rise of ad blockers. Their blocking rates are as high as 55% according to Secret Media. But this doesn’t mean that other sites aren’t feeling the burn. In fact, entertainment sites have an ad blocking rate of 29% while fashion sites have 26%.
- Intrusive And Non-intrusive Ads Are Blocked – All ads are treated the same with ad-blockers. Regardless of whether they’re intrusive or not. While some tools attempt to fix this issue by allowing white-listed ads through, most of them lack this capability. After all, they rely on crowd-sourced blacklists that contain URLs and other page elements related to advertising.
Ad-blockers are necessary
Even Facebook were accused of taking “a dark path against user choice”. Adblock Plus owner Ben Williams criticised the social network in his blog, writing,
“In any case, it’s hard to imagine Facebook or the brands that are being advertised on its site getting any sort of value for their ad dollar here: publishers (like Facebook) alienate their audience and advertisers (the brands) allow their cherished brand name to be shoved down people’s throats. Yikes.”
In short, ad-blockers can no longer be ignored. Statistics from eMarketer further confirm this. In a June 2016 blog, it reported that 90.5% of users will block ads on their desktops and laptops while 29.7% will do so on smartphones. So, cut your losses short and invest more in other effective strategies such as influencer marketing.
“But Why Influencer Marketing?”
For starters, you won’t have to worry about ad-blockers since influencer content on social media is not affected. Influencer marketing also offers many unique advantages, including:
- Cost-Effective Advertising – Contrary to what most marketers believe, influencers provide great value. In our Chromo-Influencer® campaign for DRARE Clothing we were able to deliver an ROI of 920%. Yes, that’s £9.20 for every £1 spent. You can read more about our case study here.
- Better Customer Relationships –HubSpot and AdBlock Plus reported that 84% of their combined survey’s respondents have poor opinions of brands resorting to obnoxious or intrusive ads. Rather than alienating your audience and losing their trust, improve your image with the help of influencers. Content creators have an image to uphold, so they only promote brands they care about. Their audiences know this, which is why they’re more likely to seriously consider their recommendations every time.
- Precise Targeting – You can easily find the demographics of influencer audiences because the major social media platforms provide them. Also, influencers have a great understanding of what resonates with their audience. As a result, they can create content that really engages their followers so they become your new customers.
- Quicker Results – With the right influencer marketing strategy, you can see the results of your hard work quickly. Our Grad DNA influencer campaign is a great example. Our team at PMYB were able to achieve 22,826 app downloads in just one week. As a result, PMYB shot Grad DNA to the top of the app store for Business in September 2016. This, in turn, improved SEO dramatically. You can read more about our app marketing services here.
“I’m Sold. What’s Next?”
Your next step should be to create an influencer marketing strategy. As simple as this may sound, it’s actually a bit of a challenge. You’ll need to invest more than money in locating, negotiating, and managing influencers. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
That’s why top brands prefer relying on influencer marketing agencies. Our own clients choose us because we have pioneered the process of identifying high-performing influencers (known as the Chromo-Influencer®).
Get in touch with us here. Let’s discuss how our experts can boost your brand awareness and customer conversions with a winning influencer marketing strategy.